Our Club Page
OUR GATEWAY ROTARY CLUB ...
- was chartered in 2001 under the sponsorship of Cedar Rapids West Rotary Club.
- is the first and only pilot club in Iowa.
- collaborate with local metro rotary clubs.
- provides support to Prairie Edge students, staff and programs.
- supports the PrairieWood Transitional Center.
- provides scholarship support to a Prairie Edge Alternative High School Student.
- assists teachers, students and staff at College Community Schools.
- has seen an overall growth in members of 32% since July 2007.
- consistently donates 25% of all fundraising profits to the Rotary Foundation.
- named a Paul Harris Fellow from our community in recognition for his continued support of our club's mission.
- conducts a bi-annual blood drive to support the blood bank at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.
- assisted other Rotary clubs in Cedar Rapids with Flood Relief in June 2008, as well as provided supplies to the local Red Cross Shelter (in the amount of $500).
- supports the city of Ely with their annual community Fall Festival.
- supported materials for the new Swisher Library.
- supports international initiatives such as supporting a high school student in their service trip to Guatemala.
- helped support one of our members who traveled to Guatemala to provide medical and educational support to those in need.
- 2012 was nominated and selected as a recipient of the Governor's Group Award for Volunteer Service at College Community School.
To learn more about the programs we support, visit our "Service Project"Page
What is Rotary?
Individual Rotary Clubs, more than 32,000 worldwide, make up Rotary International. It is a secular organization open to all persons regardless of race, color, creed or political preference. There over 1.2 million members world-wide.
The purpose of the organization is to bring together business and professional leaders to provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world. Members usually meet weekly for breakfast, lunch or dinner, which is a social event as well as an opportunity to organize work on their service goals.
Gateway Rotary Club
P.O. Box 221
Ely, Iowa 52227
President Kelly Buchanan
Governor's Volunteer Award
Gateway Rotary was nominated and selected as College Community School's recipient of the Governor's Group Award for Volunteer Service for 2012. The ceremony was held at Prairie High School Concert Hall on Friday, June 29.
"We so appreciate (Gateway Rotary Club) sharing your time, talents and financial gifts with the students at Prairie Edge and PrairieWood Transitional Center. Our studentsí education is greatly enhanced because of your generosity."
College Community Schools